Freitag, 15. August 2008

T - 18 days.

Or something like that. It is eighteen days until the day that I leave for DC. Twenty.two until I leave for Frankfurt, Germany.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

That's Germany. I'm sort of in the bottom of Niedersachsen, which is also known as Lower Saxony.

This week has been quite eventful. First off...
Wisdom teeth! They came out on Wednesday. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it still isn't super pleasant.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There they are. Pretty, huh?

And I just stepped on a needle.

Here's the deal:
On September 2, I leave Boston at 9h00 and arrive as Dulles Airport in DC at about 10h30. I meet up with the AFS volunteers and head for the conference center. The third, we're meeting with our Congressional Representatives (I don't actually get to meet mine, since she's going to be in NH the week I'm in DC. However, I get to tour her building and meet a lot of her staff.) The fourth, all of the other AFS-Germany kids will be joining us for orientation. Then, finally, on September 5, we fly into Frankfurt on a plane departing at 5h23. From there, we have another orientation. Then, I get to go meet my host family!

I finally received my host family a little less than a month ago. I have a mum named Almut, a dad named Willifred and a host sister named Doerte. The family has 3 other children, however they're already grown-up. My mum teaches yoga, my dad is a car engineer and my sister will be completing her final year in high school. I will be living in Meine, Germany, and attending school in Braunschweig (about 17 kilometers away). I'll be taking a language course in a separate school in Braunschweig.

Here's my host family, all dressed up for a wedding.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In my nineteen days remaining, I still have a lot to do. I'm still working, too, which might not have been one of my brighter decisions.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm also trying to pack. It's not going very well-- when I actually pack, I'll post a packing list. I don't have any clothes packed yet, but I really don't want to.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anyways, more later. I'm up for a nap, since this is my last true day of recuperation.

2 Kommentare:

Marcia Q hat gesagt…

Katie, we are so proud of you! You are very deserving of this opportunity. Remember - capture every moment and take every opportunity you can. Life is an adventure! I'll be with you in thought the whole time!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Wow. Nice wisdom teeth. XD I'm also going to Germany (and on the same flight!), but you seem to be ahead of me- I just put all of my stuff together today, I only recieved my host family a couple of weeks ago, and I have no idea what to take as gifts for them. I'm pretty frantic about now, now that I leave for DC in, oh, 6-7 days. How about you? And if you don't mind me asking, what did you decide to take as gifts, if anything?